Sunday, April 24, 2011

The glass half full kinda gal! (Day 107)


When it rains, it does not rain on me.  It rains. The rain has no ulterior motive to ruin my day or to inconvenience me in the least.   It is just doing its thing. Raining, it’s not personal!  
I am really listening to what people are saying, and in this process I’ve noticed tone and patterns.  For example, recently, I noticed that a particular person always begins our conversations with “I hate …” I’ve tried saying; you don’t really mean you hate (blank).  Hate is such a strong emotional word.  Or, do you really hate turkey, flying, holidays, receiving books as gifts, cut flowers, your mom, and the word squishy?    Yip, I hate all those things is the response.  My reply to this is what would happen if you were starting to say “I hate” but you instead changed it to “I love”.   A nervous laugh, but I get no answer.  Hmmm. 
If I tried to think of a list of things I hate, I come up empty.  There is nothing I hate.  For sure, there are some things that annoy me, but nothing that I would describe as strongly as hate.  I am vegetarian, but I don’t hate meat.  I’m afraid of spiders, but I don’t hate them.  In fact, I am learning to co-exist with them. 
Words open the doorway to our emotional state.  How one expresses one's self creates an emotional blanket that engulfs the spirit and sets the tone on how one feels in that moment.  If you knew that the story of your life in spoken form tells a lot about who you are, would you change how you express yourself? 


For me, the glass is half full.  If it is cloudy, I know the sun still shines and this warms my heart.    

No comments:

Post a Comment