Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Days 4-11 Blah, Blah, Blah!



My intent is to write everyday.  But things don’t always go as planned, even well intentioned ones. 

Nonetheless, over the course of the last couple of weeks I continue to observe my speech and the impact they have on others.  After all we all know how powerful words can be.

Changes in me are slow in coming but internally I feel the shift.  Gradually the more aware I become of my own behavior I notice that there is a distinction between how I relate to strangers and people I am closely related to.   

Specifically, how I choose to relate to people I love, like family, is different than how I generally relate to others is more evident now that I've become more aware of my behavior.  I'm afraid to admit, this difference is not necessarily a good one.  I know this how, you might ask?  It is that damn automatic inner dialogue that is always prejudging people (family), in the background of my mind. 

Because I am aware of this background conversation it is even more incumbent upon me to try harder to be a good listener.   Most of my communication with others often begins with really listening to what they have to say, and giving them that bit of space before I speak.  I listen not just to their words but also to the feelings behind the words. 

On the surface it sounds pretty easy to do… in reality it is much more difficult.  The difficulty arises because I think I am right most of the time.   Like for example, if my son is saying something to me, I am waiting for him to finish so I can tell him how it really is.   So in effect I am not really listening to him because I’ve already planned my response before he has said what he wanted to say.  This scenario also can apply to my husband, sisters, brothers and anyone I am close to. In my head I am, blah, blah, blah… ok, you finished yet???

On one hand, I may look like I am attentively listening but sometimes I am not.  Although, as soon as I become aware that this is what I am doing, I take a deep breath.  This clears my mind and as I exhale, I silently say I am here for you darling.  Becoming aware of who I am and who I want to be is the first step in the process.  By the looks of things, I just might be spending some time in this first stage.   No worries, it is not a race and it's going to take the time it takes.   

No comments:

Post a Comment