Monday, January 17, 2011

Day 12–16 Yes, but…


I am more conscientious about how I communicate and becoming increasingly more present when having conversations. However, I still discover that I continue to interject as others are speaking. I find myself saying, yes, but… and as they continue to speak, I say, but, but… trying to get a word in. I catch myself, stop, and, listen. It works the other way too. I am more aware when people interrupt me. No doubt about it, being a good communicator is tough work.

Really, it is. I challenge you to take two hours to observe your conversations. Pay particular attention to your inner dialogue. What are you thinking just before you speak, during communication and after the conversation is over? How often did you interrupt? Which people did you interrupt more often? Do you feel that you had a meaningful dialogue? How do you feel after doing this exercise?

Communication is like a tango, it takes two. It has rhythm, a flow that allows the communication to easily bounce back and forth from the listener to the speaker. Both should come away from the conversation feeling satisfied that they provided the space to be understood and have been heard with very minium toe stepping.  Or at least, if you do step on the on someone's toes, you're aware of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment